line decor
  
line decor

 
 
 

 
 
Chapter History

Early in 1850 the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of the State of Illinois was organized. On Christmas day of that year the companions of Euclid Lodge No. 65, A.F. & A.M. petitioned the Grand Chapter through Chicagoís Lafayette Chapter No. 2, a Royal Arch Chapter.

The Local Chapter held meetings that first year under the guidance of the Grand Chapter.

Its Charter was granted October 3, 1851 and on November 11 of that year the first regular meeting of the Chapter was held. Aylmer Keith was elected the first High Priest. The other officers were: John Eddy, King; Harry T. Wilson, Scribe; Nahum Loring, Captain of the Host; V.W. Potter, Principal Sojourner; Russell Whipple, Royal Arch Captain; John Bolton, Master of the 3rd Veil; Zadoc Hall, Master of the 2nd Veil; Ezekial Hall, Master of the 1st Veil; Henry L. Peaslee, Treasurer; Cheney M. Castle, Secretary; Joseph Naper and Calvin C. Barnes, Stewards; and Charles N. Fox, Sentinel.

The Chapter voted the following year to take stock in the Naperville Academy to the amount of $100.00. The Blue Lodge and the Odd Fellows joined with them in doing the same and the upper room of the Academy was then completed as a union hall where meetings were held.

Later Chapter meetings were held in Captain Naperís store and of course, the Masonic Hall which was formerly the second story of the present City Hall building.

Four other Chapters - Aurora, Joliet, Wheaton, and Downers Grove - petitioned the local Chapter to recommend them to the Grand Chapter for dispensation for Charters.

Today, Euclid Chapter No. 13 is comprised of about 55 Companions, the majority of them also being members of Euclid Lodge No. 65.

 

 


 

Original building occupied between 1849-1852 and today.
Original building occupied between 1852-1857 and today.
Original building occupied between 1857-1865 and today.
Original building occupied between 1865-1868 and today.
Original building occupied between 1868-1891 and today.
Original building occupied between 1891-1917 and today.
Our current home as it looks today in Downtown Naperville.
 
Copyright 2011 Euclid Chapter No 13